The American Society of Military Comptrollers (ASMC) offers the Certified Defense Financial Manager (CDFM) educational program and certification designation to those persons desiring to demonstrate proficiency in the core aspects of defense financial management.
The DoD Authorization Act FY2012 signed by President Obama empowers the Secretary of Defense to "… prescribe professional certification and credential standards" for the defense financial management community. The CDFM is one of the DoD-approved Test-Based Certifications recommended for Certification Levels 2 and 3 of the DoD FM Certification Program.
While most candidates in the CDFM program are civilian or military/reserve members of the Department of Defense, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, or employees of defense contractors or suppliers, the CDFM program is open to all candidates who meet one of the following qualifications:
- An Associate’s degree or higher and 2 years of defense-related (or 4 years of Federal Government-related) FM experience
- A high school diploma (or equivalent) and 3 years of defense-related FM experience
Steps to Certification
- Enroll in the CDFM Program. Your enrollment gives you 2 years of eligibility to sit for exams. If additional time is needed to pass the required CDFM module exams, enrollment can be extended an additional 2 years.
- Purchase and Schedule the CDFM Examinations. After purchasing your CDFM exam(s), you will receive an Authorization to Test (ATT) email within 24-48 hours with scheduling directions.
- Submit Your Verification of Financial Management Experience (VFME) Form. A qualifying VFME form must be signed by a supervisor who can verify your work experience and submitted to ASMC. You do not have to submit this form before taking a CDFM exam, but it is required before the CDFM designation can be awarded.
All individuals earning the CDFM designation must adhere to the ASMC Pledge of Professionalism to retain their credential. Additionally, they must recertify their CDFM every 24 months.